Friday, January 06, 2006

Imago Dei, the Theisen's wedding, and some thoughts

Mike and I popped into the wedding of Dirk and Hannah Theisen tonight at the beautiful old Lauralhurst Church in Portland. We had visited Jeff and Michele Theisen in Adjumani just about two months ago, and it was great to see them both back in the United States. And it was wonderful to see all of the Portland/Imago Dei friends once more. Thanks to all of you for your friendship and support!

We are mostly moved into our new house. This is also the new Lahash location. Our address is:

10750 NE 4th Ave
Portland, OR 97211

You can send any correspondence to the new place.

I've been doing a little more thinking and decompressing, and it helps with the talks around town that I'm having. I met with Josh Butler for lunch today and we talked of his recent engagement - and Africa. I mentioned that during the trip I had thought a lot more about missions and my response to the movement. I think after witnessing some terrible mistakes made by missionaries as a child, and then jumping into cultural anthropology in college I was skeptical about westerners in foreign lands dumping culture and religion on others. I guess that skepticism can be helpful at times, but I was pretty judgmental. This trip brought a lot of healing in that department. For one thing, I was called a missionary most of the time (or a pastor or evangelist). And the main reason for the new look at missions was all of the positive things that have been done by missionaries. We rarely met a person that had anything bad to say about the western missionaries. Mostly kids, politicians, churchgoers, and the person on the street were grateful. And you can look at the things lost by missions - culture primarily - and also see the domination, racism, and abuse that went on during the past 150 years. But you can also look at the health improvements, the release from a spirituality of fear of spirits and demons - into the hope and grace of the Messiah, and you can see the roads, technology, and modernization that virtually everyone appreciates. Most of these changes were brought about by the sacrifices of men and women that were called missionaries and immersed themselves into different cultures and sometimes died for the cause. Yes mistakes were made. Yes apologies should be made. Yes things should be done differently. But we are all human and we're all trying and we all have one foot stuck in our grimy past and one foot wandering into the hopeful future. One final point is this. Many church movements at the moment are stressing "holistic" Christianity. Some of my criticisms of past missions was that they were not "holistic". But the fact is that missions has a rich history of holistic truth and love. Thousands of schools and hospitals were built by missionaries. Compassion International and World Vision are everywhere - working with children, the sick, and encouraging mature faith. It is almost as if you have to be holistic to exist in these situations.

I've been asked a lot over the past couple of weeks how the transition into life in the United States has been. Has it been hard? What's standing out to you? Do you feel depressed?

Mostly it feels good. But there is one sub level thought that I ought to share here on the blog. Coming back to Portland is nice. It's great to see friends and family. But I've seen a lot. I've cried with dying people, and I've seen faces that have little hope left. And many of these people have deposited all of their hopes and dreams into my head. And the stories and dreams of hundreds are all tangled up in my heart. And now I wander back into the United States. And to be honest I feel like Schindler from Schindler's List. I'm wandering around clinking champagne glasses with the elite in the land, laughing and joking. And all the while there is a holocaust happening just outside the window. There are people dying. There are people that want to experience peace and truth and hope. There are AIDS patients that are dying because they can't afford a $1 pill each day. There is a community of lepers that just need some antibiotics. There are orphans that are turning into prostitutes because no one will buy them a school uniform and shoes. And I'm struggling to know how to act. I'm wondering how to present this tangled mess. I worry that if I begin talking I'll sound judgmental and maybe a bit crazy. It's a lot of pressure. I know that life and giving and sharing and loving should be done in a cheerful manner - so I'm trying to keep my balance. Pray for me as I walk.

Much love to you all. Please pray for the sex worker program in Kenya that the ladies will experience healing and transformed lives. Please pray for the orphans in Sudan and Uganda as they go back to school and are debating a trip north for some concerts. Please pray for the orphan sponsorship program in Tanzania that we will create a program that is beneficial and loving. And pray for the Lahash team as we move ahead with out plans. Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home