Tuesday, December 27, 2005


Merry Christmas everyone!

It's the morning of Tuesday the 27th, my Christmas greetings are a little late, and the jetlag is still lingering one week on. I'm still heading to bed at 9 PM and waking up at 5 AM.

Today the team (well just about half of the team) is going to get together in Portland for a little reunion. I'm working on creating some photo and music DVDs for all the memories of the trip. I'm really excited about providing a platform for some of these talented musicians that we've met. Here's an MP3 of one of the guys we had the privilege of meeting. Emmanuel Lasu is a Sudanese living in Kampala. He and his sisters just cut an album that's receiving some airtime in the capital city of Uganda. But the album is really spreading throughout the disjointed south where the Sudanese are energized by the uplifting music and grateful lyrics to the "Mama land" and to the Southerners that stood up to the injustices of the North.



(Yes that's a G-Unit shirt and a "Support our Troops" ribbon!)

Emmanuel Lasu - Track 1

We had a great time with all these local artists, who are full of talent but have been unable to make money because of the smaller markets there and the widespread pirating. I'm hoping that within the next year we can make a Lahash compilation CD. And don't forget that the Amazing Grace CD will be ready for purchase soon! All the proceeds from that CD will go to the kids and their care.

I've been deep in thought the past couple days about this disturbing article from the Wall Street Journal. Unanswered Prayers: In Swaziland, U.S. Preacher Sees His Dream Vanish
It's the story of the author of the Prayer of Jabez and his "calling" to Africa from God to tackle the problems of AIDS and poverty. There are many disturbing aspects to the story - for instance - how do we trust people when they claim that they are called by God? And do Western solutions work in Africa - can the overwhelming interest and compassion of the moment translate into progress in people's lives on the ground? I guess the main lesson from the story is that humility is essential. I'd love to hear your comments on the story.

I'm going to be with many of you this next week in California for Jason Knott's wedding. I hope to share some of the photos and stories! When I return I'll be working with Karin Rosain and others to move forward on these projects - and I'll be putting together a video summary of our trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home