Monday, November 21, 2005

The Kibera Slums

Over 700,000 people live in the Nairobi slum area called Kibera. At least half of them are children. Kibera is a city in a city. It has homes, businesses, hotels and schools. They are all packed into buildings with mud walls between sewage filled streets.

One in three Kibera residents is HIV positive. That statistic is slightly higher than Nairobi's of one in four.

Our team spent a large part of Friday in Kibera, and we saw some of the good work being done by those that have dedicated their lives to the children and families there. The school that we saw teaches 180 children (50 to a classroom), but there are 1000 more in the area that they are unable to serve.


Here is some of what we saw:









In other news: I made it back to Portland after about 45 hours of travel! I am unpacking, doing laundry, and trying to reacquaint myself with the Pacific Standard Time Zone before I go back to work tomorrow.

It is strange to have life be familiar here and yet to carry so many new ideas in my head and heart.

I am praying for the safety and physical endurance of everyone still traveling. I love you guys, and I miss you already!

- Erin

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can almost smell that third picture down just by looking at it. This should be an interesting Thanksgiving for all of you.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home