Friday, July 21, 2006


News from Kim Davey
Kim Davey, a friend from Imago Dei, is living with the orphans in Uganda and Sudan for a month and a half. The following are excerpts from her email this morning:

I was quite excited to land in Africa. I could not help but smile, I was finally in Africa after all of these years. After collecting my luggage and going through customs I saw the sign reading “Kim Davey”. I have never loved seeing my name in print more.

I stayed five days in the capital city of Uganda, Kampala. I stayed in a sort of makeshift orphanage where about seven or eight children live. These children are not able to move to the other two orphanages because they are being tested for AIDS. One or both of their parents died from the disease and it is not yet determined if they too have the disease. Please pray for these beautiful young ones.

On the first night that I was there the older girls braided my hair and the little ones sat and petted my head.

I also attended the local church. It was so amazing that I don’t think any words I know can describe what it was like to worship with those people. They were dancing, clapping, singing, and worshipping with their whole heart. I could not help but cry. The minister spoke on Romans 15 and encouraged us to mimic our missional Lord. Our God is good!!!

I am now in Adjumani. Susan, who I have been with the whole time, is wonderful. She treats me like a daughter, constantly encouraging me to eat, eat, eat. I swear that I will come home as big as a house. I also met Ezbon. I was so surprised when I met him. He is nothing like I imagined. He is SO young. At first, he reminded me of a GQ model. He is so popular here. I have grown to really enjoy him. His personality and excitement is contagious. There are also two other very nice men here and they look after me like I am a child. I feel very, very safe.

Today I start teaching English to the children and some of the helpers including one 17 year old boy. I will not tell you all of his story, but know that while Susan explained this boy's story I had to keep from crying because he was standing there. Please pray for him. His name is Francis. His story, for some reason, touched me more than even the movie-like images of the dirty, half naked refugee children.

After playing Crazy Kickball with the kids, I was so happy. I love it here!!! It is so beautiful. Although I am not yet used to people looking at me everywhere I go and children yelling “muzungu”, I have found the people so warm and friendly. It is good.

Please pray for not only the children here in the orphanage, they are well cared for, but also the street and refugee children. Please pray for them.

1 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

thank you for this update! it is wonderful to hear. i cant wait to go...

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home