Saturday, October 15, 2005

16 Days Left!
I spent most of today doing little errands around town. I made sure the first aid kit was up to date.
Yesterday 4 of the team members got together and watched a documentary on the Lost Boys of Sudan "A Great Wonder: Lost Children of Sudan". The film was shown at a local community college, and provided a clear picture of all the humor, loneliness, and difficulties of leaving the grasslands of East Africa and integrating into the chilly Northwest city of Seattle. There was a great discussion after the film, although I was lost in thought during most of the questions and answers. It was interesting that many of the Sudanese boys (and girls) that came to America initially thought their dreams were coming true, and after a year or so actually wanted to return to Sudan because of the stark deficiencies in the U.S. One really interesting comment from one of the young men was that he imagined the 9/11 attacks to be a continuation of the war in Sudan, and his security and worldview was upset once more.

There are a couple of events coming up here for Oregon or Washington locals:

* October 17th *
First, Monday night there will be a presentation at Jonathan and Taryn's house on Uganda and Sudan. Erik Wecks, Brian Stiger, myself, and Karin Rosain will be speaking about the region and the trips. I'll also give an overview of Lahash - everyone is welcome to come. The address is: 1535 SE 21st Ave, Portland, OR 97214. The meeting will be at 7:00 PM on Monday the 17th of October. After the talks, there will be a prayer time for the region.

* October 23rd *
Second, there will be a presentation in the Imago Dei Service on the 23rd of October - during each of the 3 services. During that time, the majority of the East Africa Trip team will be assisting in the children's ministry downstairs. We are hoping to partner the kids in Portland with the kids in Uganda and Sudan.

* October 31st *
The team leaves for Entebbe, Uganda - flying first through Dallas, then New York, then Dubai!

5 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I'm glad you all went to the movie. I was sad to miss it.

I did listen to my new Africa CD on the way up to Seattle. It was very emotional to hear children from such war-torn backgrounds singing "Thank you God for your mercy. Thank you Lord for your love for me." Wow.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow. I surfed here somehow from Preston's xanga, and now I can't wait to hear about Africa, especially Uganda. I've known since my visit there (to Amani Baby Cottage in Jinja and Watoto in Kampala) that my heart is there...hope to be able to go back again soon. Tell the country a big hello and Oli Otya for me.
Godbless,
Amanda

11:48 AM  
Blogger Dan Holcomb - Lahash said...

Amanda, welcome! When were you at the Amani Baby Cottage? Were you working with the Watoto children's choir? Are you heading back to Uganda anytime soon?

3:20 PM  
Blogger Dan Holcomb - Lahash said...

Kara, do you know which film of the Lost Boys they'll be playing? Is it the full length film that we released earlier this year?

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! I didn't ever expect a reply but I was googling again today and saw it! I was at Amani in May-June 2004, and we spent a few days doing a house build at Watoto, and met lots of the kids. It was such a lovely stay, I can't wait to do it again soon...
-Amanda

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home