Monday, October 10, 2005

"It's an amazing thing to think that ours is the first generation in history that really can end extreme poverty, the kind that means a child dies for lack of food in its belly. This should be seen as the most incredible, historic opportunity but instead it's become a millstone around our necks. We let our own pathetic excuses about how it's 'difficult' justify our own inaction. Be honest. We have the science, the technology, and the wealth. What we don’t have is the will, and that’s not a reason that history will accept." - Bono

I've been thinking some about why I am motivated to travel on this trip. There are a ton of reasons that pop up, and some of the top ones are listed below.

First of all, I feel a responsiblity not to abandon my friends in East Africa. I grew up there, ran around with friends, and we lived and dreamed together. Somehow I always had the option of flying out of much of the pain and poverty, and they did not have this same option. And now we are all grown up, and they are still my bro's and my sisters. I still love them very much. And I feel responsible that any learning, any opportunity, any insight, and any of my love should be a community commodity and should be shared for the benefit of all.

Secondly, I really feel redundant in the United States. I have a university degree - so does everyone else. I have a car - everyone else has 3 or 4. I build webpages and edit video - so does every other junior high kid. In East Africa, every part of who I am is stretched to the limits. Every dollar I earn can be a huge factor in so many lives. All my workshops, conferences, degrees, certificates, and experiences can be so helpful for so many.

Third, I feel connected specifically to the Amazing Grace Orphanage because in some weird way I've rediscovered my faith being with the kids and staff. Their faith, hope, hospitality, compassion and trust in God were so bright and infectious when I made my previous trips there.

Fourth, I agree with Bono (lead singer U2) that much of the problems in Africa become an issue of injustice. "It's not about charity, it is about justice," he said at a conference early this year, "this would never be allowed to happen anywhere else." To some degree unfair economic practices, discrimination, racism, greed, and indifference contribute to a system of oppression for the region. We have the ability to alleviate much of the disease and poverty - but for a variety of reasons we don't. Instead of looking at these issues as charitable options - it's important to understand the bleak emergency in its severity and polarization. We are privileged with resources, wealth, and education. In some parts of the world there are starving orphans, HIV patients with no medicine, and blind widows without shelter. These members of humanity should automatically be loved and cared for by all of us. It becomes injustice when our society ignores their voices and images. The Hebrew Abraham was told by God that he would be blessed in order to become a blessing to others. I think we have a tremendous opportunity to spread the blessings on down the line.

Finally, I have huge respect for these ministries and organizations we will be supporting. The staff are members of oppressed communities in peril, and have risen to the challenge and they've sacrificed comforts to bring hope and life to others. To me this is an opportunity to learn from the beautiful hearts of our time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

Dan...
I can't wait for you to see everyone again!!!... we know you love them so much. And I'll pray That will flow over everything and everyone:) The LORD is being glorified, that's for sure.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Dan Holcomb - Lahash said...

Thanks Tiff for your prayers especially! Have you and Nick shared any more emails regarding any medical supplies we could take over?

12:32 AM  
Blogger Jason + Tiff said...

Oh, and Dan... I'm waiting for an email back from Nick...I'll keep you guys updated:)

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home